- 8 ounces white unbleached organic flour
- 1 Tablespoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 ounces sucanat (granulated cane juice)
- 2-1/2 ounces plumped currants
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce or prune puree*
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- Applesauce works well, but in this recipe prune puree works even better. Baby food prunes are okay, but you are also buying some preservatives and possibly some fillers. It is more economical to buy pitted prunes, heat them in some water, and puree them yourself in a blender or food processor. I then measure it out in 1-cup amounts and freeze these separately if they are not needed right away.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking soda, spices, cream of tartar, and sucanat. Blend applesauce or prune puree and buttermilk with molasses. Add currants, then add to dry ingredients. Cook for 1 hour in a loaf or 9-inch square pan that has been sprayed or greased.